Veteran Affairs
Veteran Affairs

Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve GI Bill



You may qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The VA makes the payments for this program.

Kicker rates and college fund rates are determined by the Department of Defense and are not listed. Chapter 1606 kickers are payable as long as the person remains in the job or unit for which the kicker is awarded.


Basic Eligibility


  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after Sept. 30, 1990.
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT)
  • Meet the requirements to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.




To apply for Chapter 1606 benefits, fill out this electronic application and contact the Veterans Affairs Services Center- Ft. McIntosh Campus- Lerma Peña Building Room 250 or call (956) 764-5768, once you have completed it. If you would prefer not to use the electronic form, submit the application for VA Educational Benefits (VA form 22-1990) along with a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE, form 2384) from the Education Office of your unit to the Veterans Affairs Services Center- Ft. McIntosh Campus- Lerma Peña Building Room 250.

In addition, you need to request that a copy of your military transcript be sent to the Enrollment & Registration Service Center, Laredo Community College, West End Washington St, Laredo, TX 78040. This can be done online at each branch of service.


Verification of Enrollment


Once a file is established and a student is enrolled, the VA requires monthly verification of enrollment. Submit your monthly verification toll-free by touch-tone telephone at 1-877-823-2378 or go online to and follow the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program. If your enrollment changes during a month, you must re-verify your enrollment through the WAVE program. Payment can be expected 3 to 15 days from the date the VA is notified of verification.


More Information

To learn more, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or contact Maria Estela Garcia, Veterans Affairs Coordinator, Veterans Affairs Services Center- Ft. McIntosh Campus- Lerma Peña Building Room 250 or call (956) 764-5768.