Student I-20 Form Deadlines:

  • Fall Semester (Aug-Dec): June 20
  • Spring Semester (Jan-May): October 20
  • Summer (Jun-July): March 4


How Do I Get a SEVIS I-20 form?

To apply for a SEVIS I-20 Form you must complete a Laredo Community College Admission Application Form,, and have a valid passport from your home country. Additionally, students wishing to reside (live) in the US while attending school full-time must submit a completed Financial Responsibility Statement and current bank statement, indicating sufficient funds to pay living expenses and cost of school; $18,586 based on Financial Aid student statement of cost and policy.  Upon receipt of the required documents, the DSO will prepare the I-20 form.  The I-20 will be forwarded to the applicant and will not be issued to a third party without the written consent of the applicant.  The student must process the I-20 form with the U.S. Embassy of their native country.


Foreign high school transcripts that are not in English must have a translation and evaluation completed by an agency of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).  Please call the office at 721-5109 for a list of the NACES approved agencies.


All transcripts from previously attended institutions, both U.S. and foreign, must be received by the DSO prior to an I-20 being issued.


TOEFL scores must be submitted to Laredo Community College before an I-20 is issued.  Passing scores for admission to the college are 500 on the paper-based TOEFL and 61 on the internet-based TOEFL or TOEFL iBT.  


What do I do after I get my I-20 approved?

After receiving the SEVIS I-20 form and F-1/F-3 visa, the following requirements pertain to both full-time and Border Commuter Students....

  • You must report to the Enrollment & Registration Services Center within 10 days of entering the US for the first time on your F-1/F-3 Visa.
  • You must have the second page from your I-20 form signed every year by the Designated School Official.
  • You must report all changes to your address and phone number to the Enrollment Registration Office within 10 days
  • You must maintain full-time requirement every semester; any changes in your schedule that causes you to be out of status, i.e., withdrawing from a class causing less than full-time attendance, you must report to the ERS office.
  • You must report to the Enrollment & Registration Services Center and receive permission prior to registration if you wish to enroll for less than full-time.
  • To extend your I-20 Form, you must report to the Enrollment & Registration Services for an extension 15 days prior to the expiration date.  If the I-20 is not extended or renewed prior to the expiration date, it will be terminated and the student will not be allowed to continue to study after the exipiration date. The student will have to leave the US and re-apply for a new I-20 and get a new F-1/F3 visa.



 International Student Transfer Admissions  

Students may request transfer from another institution to Laredo Community College, or from this college to another institution under the provisions of USCIS rules.  Students must request this process two weeks prior to the first day for the semester/session for which they intend to enroll.  An F-1 student is eligible to transfer if the student:

  • Is a bona fide  non-immigrant student (in-state)
  • Has been attending a full course of study;
  • Is in good academic  standing with the institution
  • Intends to pursue a full course of study at the institution to which the student intends to transfer; and
  • Is financially able to attend the institution to which the student intends to transfer.

Contact the Enrollment & Registration Service Center immediately if you plan to transfer to another college or university.  Another school will not be able to issue an I-20 to you unless LCC first releases your SEVIS record.


 International Student Reinstatement

If an international student has failed to maintain the term or conditions of status, the student will be reported to the USCIS for non-compliance.  The student will then be withdrawn from all courses.  If the student wishes to be reinstated, the student must apply for reinstatement of the F-1 status to the USCIS Service Center.  For additional information, visit the USCIS website at

The USCIS Service Center will process the request for reinstatement and notify the student of the decision to reinstate him/her to student status or of other action to be initiated regarding the student's non-immigrant status.