Disability Services Frequently Asked Questions

Do different disability laws apply to high school students than to college students? 

Yes. High schools need to provide special education services that are compliant with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Subpart D of Section 504, while colleges and universities need to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Colleges and universities that receive federal funding are also required to comply with Subpart E of Section 504. At the college level, both the ADA and Subpart E of Section 504 prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. Awarding college credit is at the discretion of the college; any academic accommodations provided in dual credit courses must ensure that the academic standards of the college are met in order for the student to receive college credit for those courses. For more information on students with disabilities and preparation for college, visit: U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights


If students with disabilities want to take a dual credit course for Laredo College credit, why must they apply for separate accommodations, when they are already covered by an IEP at the high school?

IEP’s are not applicable at the college credit level. Laredo College expects all students who enroll in courses for Laredo College credit to complete all the same academic requirements for those courses. At the college level, students receive reasonable and appropriate accommodations that provide opportunity but do not guarantee success.  Laredo College strives to preserve the academic integrity of all courses and programs of study due to accreditation standards and licensure requirements.


If students are only allowed college-level accommodations for courses they take for dual credit with Laredo College, are they still allowed IEP accommodations for the rest of their high school courses?  

Yes. College level accommodations only apply to those courses taken to receive college credit with Laredo College.


Once enrolled at Laredo College, are students required to disclose their disability to the college?

No, if students are not requesting any disability services or accommodations, they may keep this information private.


Are services and accommodations automatically provided for students with disabilities in college?

No, services and accommodations are not automatically provided for students with disabilities in college. A college or university does not necessarily know that a student has a disability when they enroll and cannot provide services and accommodations until the student self-discloses.  Students need to follow the procedures to apply for Disability Services upon enrolling at Laredo College.


Do I need to request accommodations each semester?

After the student’s first semester with accommodations at Laredo College, if the student wants to continue to receive the same accommodations or make changes, the student must submit an Accommodation Request form to renew accommodations each semester. If the student wants to change accommodations, the student will need to make an appointment to meet with the Disability Services Counselor by calling (956)721-5137 before accommodation letters can be prepared.


What documentation of disability does Laredo College require for the determination of college-level accommodations?

  • Diagnostic Information (Current-3 years) from one of the following:
  • ARD/504 from school district
  • Evaluation from medical provider
  • Evaluation from social service agency (e.g. Texas Workforce Solutions Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Border Region Behavioral Health Center, etc.)
  • If documentation is not available, please contact the Special Services for additional information.


What types of accommodations are not considered reasonable and appropriate for college level courses? 

Any accommodation that fundamentally lowers or modifies the essential requirements of a course or field of study or alters the nature of the services, program, or activity is not considered reasonable nor appropriate. This includes waiving requirements that are considered essential to a course or program (such as a math course for an Accounting major), or substantially modifying tests or homework assignments (such as reducing the number of answer choices on a test or the number of required homework problems, reducing number of assignments, or assigning special projects in lieu of assignments, etc.). Additionally, the college is not required to provide any accommodation that is for personal use such as personal attendants, individually prescribed devices, readers for personal use or study, or other devices or services of personal nature such as tutoring.


If I register with Disability Services, will it show up on my academic record?

No.  A student’s academic record is maintained by the Registrar's Office .  All disability documentation and information related to a student with a disability is maintained in a confidential file in the Counseling and Disabiity Services office.


Is my disability/diagnosis information shared with my professors?

Information related to a student’s disability/diagnosis is not shared with instructors. Only the Accommodation Letter is shared with instructors. The Accommodation Letter focuses on accommodations and does not share disability-specific information. It is up to students to decide what information beyond the accommodation letter they do or do not feel comfortable sharing. A student should never be required to share disability-specific information with their instructors. 


Can I receive accommodations for the TSIA 2.0?

Based on an individual student's documentation, accommodations may be approved for the TSIA 2.0. Students requesting TSIA 2.0 accommodations must follow the Disability Services application process and provide supporting documentation of their disability.  TSIA 2.0 testing accommodations should be requested and arranged at least two weeks in advance of the scheduled test date or as soon as possible. 


With whom does the Disability Services share students’ disability documentation?

Disability documentation submitted to Disability Services are considered educational records. As such, these records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Laredo College affords all students the rights and protections relating to their education records as provided in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Consistent with FERPA, students will be granted access to their education.  For more information about FERPA, visit this website.


How do I file a grievance?  

Laredo College has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Title II states, in part, that “no otherwise qualified individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination” in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity.

Complaints regarding student programs or activities should be addressed to: Disability Services Counselor located at Kazen Student Center Room 132.